Re: Debian etch RC1 installation question

On Wed, Nov 15, 2006 at 11:22:07AM +0200, Aladdin wrote:

> So if I'll not touch anything regarding selinux after my install - shall I have disabled selinux? Right?
>
> In selinux config file I have the following entries (I didn't touch anything):
>
> # This file controls the state of SELinux on the system.
> # SELINUX= can take one of these three values:
> # enforcing - SELinux security policy is enforced.
> # permissive - SELinux prints warnings instead of enforcing.
> # disabled - No SELinux policy is loaded.
> SELINUX=permissive
>
> As I can understand selinux is enabled? Or am I wrong? Because in logs I can see the following messages:
>
> Nov 14 07:27:56 vega kernel: Security Framework v1.0.0 initialized
> Nov 14 07:27:56 vega kernel: SELinux:  Disabled at boot.
> Nov 14 07:27:56 vega kernel: Capability LSM initialized
>
> I'm little confused here:(
>
> > Read the instructions: there is SELinux support in the base packages for
> > those that need that functionality. SELinux is not enabled by default:
> > you have to make changes manually after reboot to enable it.
> >
> > The extra overhead to allow for SELinux support in base packages like
> > login is a few k in disk space: if you don't want to use SELinux after
> > the first reboot, then don't enable it.

Hi Aladdin,
there are 2 settings that affect you: the kernel command line
option(selinux=) and the config file with the SELINUX= variable:

selinux| SELINUX  | selinux status       | result
missing|          | selinux disabled     | no effect
0      |          | selinux disabled     | no effect
1      |disabled  | selinux disabled     | no effect
1      |permissive| selinux enabled      | no visible effect
                  | but in debugging mode| except debugging messages
1      |enforcing | selinux enabled      | increased security

cheers,
Kev