Re: GPL Java

On 11/14/06, Kelly Clowers <kelly.clowers@gmail.com> wrote:

The equivilant of the Firefox problem would be if "Duke", the Java mascot
was under a non-free licence and Sun said the you could not use the
trademark "Java" without including Duke. But as far as I know, Sun has
not said that, and anyway, Duke has been released under the BSD licence:
https://duke.dev.java.net/

Cheers,
Kelly

Replying to myself here...

I forgot about the Java "Coffee cup" logo, and I can't find any new info on it.

This page: http://logos.sun.com/logosite.jsp?Category=third
indicates that there are some restrictions on the logo, but it also lists
Duke, so it clearly hasn't been updated.

Currently the trademark use guidelines say you must include the logo:
http://www.sun.com/policies/trademarks/#10e3

So I guess that aspect is still unknown, but the freeing of Duke gives me
hope that Sun will be reasonable (and hopefully for DFSG values of
"reasonable").

Cheers,
Kelly