Re: Cupsys, using gimpprint driver instead of gutenprint

T wrote:
Hi,
The new cupsys in Etch does not work for me, while the old cupsys in Sarge
works perfectly. After switching to Etch, I've had 3 attempts trying to make
it works, but failed 3 times. (My latest attempt and problem logged at:
http://www.cups.org/newsgroups.php?s3095+gcups.bugs+v3104+T0 )

Suddenly it occurs to me that in Sarge, I am using gimpprint driver, while
now I'm trying the gutenprint driver, and I do know that people are not
using the gutenprint, to avoid the trouble, while looking for answer to my
problems.
Yes, Cupsys and Gutenprint are not getting along in Etch. I had to pull my hair out for a few weeks on this, until finally someone on this list confirmed that I wasn't the only one, identified the problem and filed it as a bug report.

This has been fixed in Sid and I am sure the fix will move in to Etch soon. You can either upgrade to the version in Sid or wait it out. The version in Sid is working fine for me.

If you don't want to mix your system and can't wait, you can also use the web interface to point Cupsys to your drivers. Rough guide:

1. Use locate to find your printers PPD file
2. Go to http://localhost:631
   and create a new printer
3. When it gives you the option, instead of selecting a printer from the list,
   browse to the the ppd file you found in step 1.

Luckily the gimpprint driver set is still in Etch:

 cupsys-driver-gimpprint - printer drivers for CUPS
 foomatic-db-gimp-print - linuxprinting.org printer support - database for Gimp-Print printer drivers
 gimp-print - print plugin for the GIMP
 gimpprint-doc - Users' Guide for Gimp-Print and CUPS
 gimpprint-locales - Locale data files for Gimp-Print
 libgimpprint1 - The Gimp-Print printer driver library

So I removed all foomatic/cupsys related package and re-install the 4th
time. But to my surprise, I see no gimpprint driver, but only the gutenprint
driver that didn't work for me. So here is my question,
For cupsys in Etch, is it possible to use gimpprint driver instead of
gutenprint?
The gimpprint package in Etch is just an empty package that depends on gutenprint since the name was changed.

Good luck,
Matthew