cs4232 soundcard

Hello. I have an old IBM laptop (Thinkpad 770) and I'm trying to get the soundcard working on it. I have run alsaconf, with the following result:

FATAL: Error inserting snd-cs4232 (/lib/modules/2.6.17-2-486/updates/alsa/isa/cd423x/snd-cs4232.ko): no such device. /usr/sbin/alsactl: save_state:1254: no soundcards found.

This is after it has stated that it found the soundcard, and was setting it up. After giving me the above message, it mocks me be saying that everything is set up, and telling me to enjoy my soundcard.

I'm using Debian Etch. I have also tried running alsaconf after installing alsa-source with module-assistant. It also did not work.

All suggestions appreciated.

Mark