Re: Recommendation for build environment(s)

On Sat, Nov 11, 2006 at 09:53:52PM +0200, Maxim Vexler wrote:

> Hello Kevin,
> Following your suggestion I'll focus my question further.
>
> >What do you want to build with this? web apps, embedded software,
> >console tools for system administraion or ? A simple set of programs for
> >a computer class project?
> >

> We're aiming to develop C based software, both console and embedded.
> The development IDE of choice is SlickEdit, code repository is
> obviously subversion. Everything else is changeable.

SlickEdit is cross-platform IIRC. TortoiseSVN as a Windows svn client.

> I've been looking at several different projects for the various tasks
> outlined above, attached as links at the end of this message. What I'm
> asking of d-u is for tips, links, references and anything else that
> might apply to such setup as I've never done anything such as this
> before. I should also note that the development / production
> environment is not entirely Debian based, there are RH machines as
> well and more are probably to appear as needed.

Look very carefully at what's provided on RH: you want to install as
little as possible from "outside" RHEL or you'll face problems tracking
down the packages you want as RPM's.

> Following is a list of FOSS projects I've been looking into, most of
> them are looked up via Google (i.e. not all are .deb packaged).

Possibly try to limit your make tools to GNU make or the
GNUautoconf/automake [see below]

> Build tools other then "make"
> -----------------------------
> OCamle - http://omake.metaprl.org/index.html
> SCons (Cross Platform) - http://www.scons.org/
> Boost Build System - http://boost.sourceforge.net/boost-build2/

All of the above are good but not as well known as make/automake.

> Trac
> ----
> OSS project demo - http://code.djangoproject.com/
> List of corporate users - http://trac.edgewall.org/wiki/TracUsers

This is a superb tool. I've set up Trac under Debian using instructions
found on the 'Net. It Just Works :)

> Graphical SVN clients
> --------------------------------
> http://jsvn.alternatecomputing.com/
> http://esvn.umputun.com/
> http://rapidsvn.tigris.org/screenshots.html
> http://ar.oszine.de/projects/qsvn/sc...ts_0.4.0.shtml
> http://www.alwins-world.de/programs/kdesvn/snapshots/
>
> Make generators
> http://www.cmake.org/HTML/Index.html
> http://doc.trolltech.com/3.0/qmake-manual.html

There is an autoproject tool which is quite useful: there is no
substitute for good human intervention on complex make files however.
Makefile generators produce good code most of the time: debugging
machine written makefiles may be significantly difficult :(

All the above IMHO :)
Andy