Re: Boot problem

Kent West wrote:
Roelof Wobben wrote:
But can't i be done with the boot-only cd from Sarge.

Yes, but I'm unsure of the steps; I'm sure Google has it somewhere though.

I want to use lilo instead of grub.

Then instead of running grub-install, run lilo, once you're chroot'ed into your system.

However, Windows still won't be bootable at that point. Once you've gotten back into Debian normally (or from within the chroot before running lilo, if you prefer), you'll need to edit /etc/lilo.conf to make sure Windows is accessible. The file is pretty well self-documented, so if you know your way around partitioning names, you shouldn't have any trouble. Then run lilo again to make sure those changes get written to the MBR. (That's one of the advantages of grub over lilo; you can make config changes on the fly with grub, whereas with lilo, you have to run the utility each time you edit the configuration.)

Brings up a point: because of my mobo (EP-8VTAI) and an installed SATA drive I cannot boot lilo *without* the suppress-boot-time-BIOS-data option.

Does that exist in grub?

Hugo