Re: laptop display

* Mark Grieveson <dg135@torfree.net> [061110 08:13]:

> Hello Chris.  Thanks for your reply.  I did finally get this solved, in
> a subthread, "laptop display CORRECTION", where a user suggested to me
> that I change the depth from 24 to 16, and to alter the HorizSync to
> 31.5-57.0 from what it had been, and alter the VertRefresh to 50-90 from
> what it had been.  This worked.  I suspect it was the depth lines that
> were key to fixing the display.
> Anyway, I'm surprised that "dpkg-reconfigure xserver-xorg" did not
> correctly identify these values in the first place, though.

I haven't followed the thread carefully, but I have experienced
similar difficulties.  Video memory is a limited resource, so, of
necessity, the allocation of additional an additional byte to each
pixel reduces the potential number of pixels which can be displayed.
It appears that, in your case, there simply isn't sufficient memory to
allow the desired number of pixels at a colour depth of 24 bits.

xorg/xfree apparently gives priority to the depth specification, which
is contrary to the priority of the typical user.

RLH