Re: laptop display

On Tue, Nov 07, 2006 at 02:15:38AM -0500, Mark Grieveson wrote:
> >The file /etc/X11/xorg.conf, reads:
> >
> >Section "Screen"
> >Identifier "Default Screen"
> >Device "Trident Microsystems Cybyer 9397"
> >Monitor "Generic Monitor"
> >
> >Default Depth 24
> >Subsection "Display"
> >Depth 24
> >Modes "1024X768" "800X600" "640X480"
> >EndSubSection

Have you got this in your xorg.conf? The modes line is the key.
Reading the log file may give hints as to "1024X768" should be. It maybe
falling back to "800X600" if "1024X768" is not possible.

-- Chris.

Hello Chris. Thanks for your reply. I did finally get this solved, in a subthread, "laptop display CORRECTION", where a user suggested to me that I change the depth from 24 to 16, and to alter the HorizSync to 31.5-57.0 from what it had been, and alter the VertRefresh to 50-90 from what it had been. This worked. I suspect it was the depth lines that were key to fixing the display. Anyway, I'm surprised that "dpkg-reconfigure xserver-xorg" did not correctly identify these values in the first place, though.

Mark