Re: Why root fs "read-only" on shutdown?

On Fri, Nov 10, 2006 at 01:39:55PM +0100, Daniel Haude wrote:
> On Fri, 10 Nov 2006 00:47:14 +0100, Douglas Tutty <dtutty@porchlight.ca>
> wrote:
>
> >Before power off, the filesystem has to be unmounted or it risks
> >corruption.  Since its being used (is busy) by the very scripts trying
> >to unmount, it can't.  The answer is for it to be remounted ro.
>
> Makes perfect sense. I'm just wondering where this remounting occurs
> if it was disabled in umountfs.sh

In my S40unmountfs:

echo -n "Unmounting local filesystems..."
umount -tnoproc,noprocfs,nodevfs,nosysfs,nousbfs,nousbdevfs,nodevpts -d -a -r
echo "done."

# This is superfluous.
mount -n -o remount,ro /

The umount -r means that in case unmounting fails, remount ro,
which therefore makes the mount -o remount,ro superfluous.

If you disable both attempts to remount ro and either power off or fsck,
you risk corruption.

Doug.