Why root fs "read-only" on shutdown?

Hello,

every day I turn my computer off when I leave work. Consequently, I have to turn I back on when I get back. About twice a week, of course, one of my 6 harddisk partitions is ready for its routine check on startup which costs me precious worktime. In an attempt to gain maybe 2 hours cumulative over my entire work life, I came up with the following brilliant idea: To my custom shutdown script (which backs up my day's work and does some cleanup) I added the line:

    touch /forcefsck

and placed this symbolic link in rc0.d:

    S41checkfs.sh -> ../init.d/checkfs.sh

(right after S40umountfs -> ../init.d/umountfs). The idea being that I don't care how long the machine works before powerdown as by that time I'm well on my way home.

It didn't take me long to discover that init.d/umountfs remounts / read-only, preventing checkfs.sh to wipeout the /forcefsck flag, but as the remount line was commented as "superfluous" in init.d/umountfs I took the liberty to comment it out.

Anyway, checkfs.sh still can't delete the flag because rm still says that the root fs is read-only. This of course results in *every* partition being force-checked on *every* startup, which is the exact opposite of what I had been trying to accomplish. A grep on "remount" in init.d, however, revealed that there are no other scripts that remount / as read-only.

So how come that / is read-only by the time I get to my ingenious rc0.d/S41 hack?

Needless to say that the quest for the answer has by now cost me much more time than I had hoped to save. But my curiosity is tickled.

Thanks for any insight:
--Daniel