RE: [OT] M$ collaborates with Suse

To each their own BUT...
This is only my 2 cents and I am sure most on this list will take it
with a grain of salt.  M$ gives me a job, pays the bills and I enjoy
working with it and teaching people proper ways of using it but I also
love the Debian world and am liking it more and more every day.

The main OS on my laptop is Debian with a second partition of XP just in
case.  I mostly do security work so the Debian is a no brainer and for
the most part I can do everything I need to on my M$ boxes using
TSClient/Rdesktop.

Microsoft has come a long way and as far as stating that their OS is
'hardly ready' is far from the truth.  I have watched this string since
it started and finally decided to write something.

If you look at their track record I agree...NT 3.5x, 4 were terrible
OS's.  Then came 2000 and even M$ will agree that it was the Millennium
of the NOS world.  NT4 was actually more secure than it is/was and that
is why Microsoft is trying to push it out.

Now look at 2003...it is rock solid in my thoughts unless you are
looking at the WWW/HTML/.NET patches which were released recently but
then again if you are looking at those and saying the OS is unsecure you
must be running IE on your servers.  Me, I never run ANY web browser on
my servers and I don't think ANYONE should run any web browser on ANY
server unless you are looking for trouble.  I disable web browsing on my
server and if I need to go out to the web I use a client or FTP from the
command line.

XP on the other hand does have some problems.  I totally agree with
everyone who says M$ is troubled but I DO NOT AGREE with they are not
unsecure or ready.

M$'s OS is ready...if you want some WWW Sites or servers which you think
you can hack or take down let me know and I will setup a couple and let
you go at it.  If you hack them cool tell me how I can better my
security if not score one for M$ and let it be.

Just remember this...your OS is only as secure as you are and if you do
not know how to secure it you shouldn't be using it.

Me, I am here learning about Debian, I know *NIX is superior to M$ and I
love using Solaris and Debian...I threw Pay Hat out the door as soon as
they went to their Pay system...who does that look like?  Not to mention
there are several Windows Themes out there for Red Hat.  They are trying
to be like M$ just because they know how successful M$ was/is and will
be with their OS.  I wish Linux would show up more on the desktop but it
is taking time.  MAC OS is out there on the desktop more than any other
Linux distro but they have the marketing down pat as well as money to
throw at it and I would be surprised if it surpasses M$ some day but
that is not going to happen anytime soon.

-Stephen