Using sysctl in debian considered harmful?!

Someone has been trying to convice me that advising someone to use
sysctl or sysctl.conf to query, or set kernel parameters is dangerous,
or unsupported in Debian. In particular, enabling/disabling ip
forwarding. I happen to think this is BS.

Is there any conceivable, or more importantly, a probable situation
where using sysctl.conf rather than /etc/network/options could mess up a
debian upgrade or prevent proper use of debian utilities or tools?

-davidc