Re: when will nvidai-glx and nvidia-kernel-source hit etch?

On Thu, Nov 09, 2006 at 08:00:34 +0100, Lubos Vrbka wrote:
> hi,
>
> >>actually, where does /usr/lib/xorg/modules/drivers/nvidia_drv.so come
> >>from? (i hope i wrote the path correctly) is it part of the binary files
> >>from nvidia.com? 'apt-file search' didn't reveal anything relevant.
> >
> >/usr/lib/xorg/modules/drivers/nvidia_drv.so is indeed part of the nvidia
> >binaries and is only installed if you use the nvidia script directly.
> i think this is not true. i certainly didn't use the nvidia script
> directly. i used m-a only.
>
> >If you use the Debian method then nvidia-glx will give you
> >/usr/lib/xorg/modules/drivers/nvidia_drv.o instead. (".o" instead of
> >".so")
> as i wrote above, i did it the debian way (tm). however, no .o file is
> present in the xorg/modules/drivers. only
> fbdev_drv.so, nv_drv.so, nvidia_drv.so, riva128_drv.so, vesa_drv.so

Now I am confused:

$ apt-file search nvidia_drv
nvidia-glx: usr/X11R6/lib/modules/drivers/nvidia_drv.o
nvidia-glx: usr/lib/xorg/modules/drivers/nvidia_drv.o
nvidia-glx-legacy: usr/lib/xorg/modules/drivers/nvidia_drv.o

Maybe the .so file comes from an older version of nvidia-glx. What is
the result of "dpkg -S nvidia_drv"?

The only thing I know for sure from when I switched from the nvidia
installer to the Debian packages is that the .so and the .o module do
not play nicely together (at least if the .so file comes from the
nvidia installer).

--
Regards,
          Florian