Re: keeps servers consistant (debs)

On Thu, Nov 09, 2006 at 04:16:56AM +0200, Ratiu Petru wrote:
> On Mon, 06 Nov 2006, Kevin Mark wrote:
>
> > On Sun, Nov 05, 2006 at 05:45:01PM -0800, Jason Morehouse wrote:
> > > Hello,
> > >
> > > Just wondering if there is an existing solution (or home-rolled script)
> > > to keep packages consistent across multiple servers.
> > >
> > > The standard repositories are fine, and caching isn't needed (ala
> > > apt-proxy), as they are on different networks.  But if I install /
> > > remove packages on a server, I'd like to do the same on other servers
> > > without having to keep track.  Also when I create a new server, id like
> > > to quickly remove and apt-get packages from a master list.
> > >
> > > Any ideas?
> > >
> > > Thanks,
> > Hi Jason,
> >
> > dpkg --get-selections|grep -v deinstall > package.list
> > will get the Debian package names sans the version number.
> >
> Is there a way to do this in such a way to preserve aptitude's database,
> too? I'm talking primarily about the auto/noauto status of packages.
>
> I've previously used dpkg --set-selections < sel.txt && apt-get
> dselect-upgrade and it worked like a charm, but I'm now considering to start
> using aptitude for package management, as it's the recommended package
> manager since sarge.
Hi Ratiu,
with the increasing use of aptitude in Debian, it would seem that an
equivilant command that mirrors 'dpkg --get-selections' should be made
for it. I guess maybe its time for a wishlist bug against aptitude. So
basicially, if you can hack the aptitude source code, go to it :-) as
many folks would be intereted in this.
Cheers,
Kev