Re: grace/grace6 installation failed due to missing gconf-schemas

On Wed, Nov 08, 2006 at 12:56:50PM +0000, Lubos Vrbka wrote:
> hi guys,
>
> today i experienced the following problem while trying to install
> grace/grace6 on an amd64 box:
>
> Setting up grace (5.1.20-3) ...
> /var/lib/dpkg/info/grace.postinst: line 32: gconf-schemas: command not found
> dpkg: error processing grace (--configure):
>  subprocess post-installation script returned error exit status 127
> Setting up grace6 (5.99.1+dev4-2) ...
> /var/lib/dpkg/info/grace6.postinst: line 32: gconf-schemas: command not
> found
> dpkg: error processing grace6 (--configure):
>  subprocess post-installation script returned error exit status 127
>  grace
>  grace6
> A package failed to install.  Trying to recover:
> Setting up grace6 (5.99.1+dev4-2) ...
> /var/lib/dpkg/info/grace6.postinst: line 32: gconf-schemas: command not
> found
> dpkg: error processing grace6 (--configure):
>  subprocess post-installation script returned error exit status 127
> Setting up grace (5.1.20-3) ...
> /var/lib/dpkg/info/grace.postinst: line 32: gconf-schemas: command not found
> dpkg: error processing grace (--configure):
>  subprocess post-installation script returned error exit status 127
>  grace6
>  grace
>
> any hints regarding what's going on here?
>
> thanks,
>
> --
Hi Lubos,
using the very handy debian tool, apt-file, I determined that
'gconf-schemas' is in the 'gconf2' package. This may need to be
installed, if it is not and it maybe needed to be added as a package
dependency. This warrants a bug report. Both grace and grace6 do not
mention this. This could be a dependency bug with both of them or with
one of its dependencies. Also, you can examine the file
/var/lib/dpkg/info/grace.postinst and /var/lib/dpkg/info/grace6.postinst
and look at the line number mentioned in the error above. This will
allow you to see the exact line that caused the error, assuming that you
can understand the programming language that it is written (usually bash
or perl).
Cheers,
Kev