Re: Is a kernel upgrade necessary ?

On Tue, Nov 07, 2006 at 05:06:33PM +0100, Jochen Schulz wrote:
> Nicolas Pillot:
>
> > - is it as simple as an apt-get install kernel-image-xxx ?
>
> Yes.

Two notes:

* I am careful to keep the old kernel around -- if aptitude proposes to
uninstall it, I override it,

* I use lilo; I don't know if you do.  I am careful to keep a backup of
lilo.conf around, and after the kernel installation and before I reboot
I edit lilo.conf and rerun lilo so that the system can boot with either
kernel.

SOmetimes there's a problem with a new kernel and it's very helpful to
have the old one around.

-- hendrik