Re: Where is the Email file?

On 11/08/2006 12:30 AM, Gayle Lee Fairless wrote:
> 	I am running the Linux version of Netscape 7.2 on Debian GNU/Linux
> sarge.  When my message box hit 100,000, the messages disappeared.  Before
> they disappeared, only one message would appear in the window.  I tried to
> delete some old messages at the beginning of the index thinking that would
> restore the proper indexing.
>
> 	Where do I find the missing messages?  It appears that Netscape
> 'took over' the Mozilla stuff way back when I first installed Netscape
> 7.2.
>
> 	I looked in lost+found.  That was empty.  I looked in
> /usr/local/netscape but couldn't find anything resembling a message file.
> The README file that I found seemed to indicate that I should look in my
> own home  directory.  I found .mozilla and .netscape and .netscape6
> directories.  I also noted the mbox file that mutt appears to use.
>
> 	Thanks for any clues.

*If* Netscape handles mbox formats like thunderbird (which I suspect but
don't know), you can:
- close Netscape
- backup the mbox directory at issue
- rm *.msf
- restart Netscape.  The .msf files will be rebuilt.

This worked for me on occasion when there was some file corruption in
thunderbird.  Also, you could grep the mbox files for the lost messages
to see if they actually exist.

Good luck,
Ralph