Re: manual software installation

Thanks.

On 11/7/06, Kevin Mark <kevin.mark@verizon.net> wrote:
On Tue, Nov 07, 2006 at 01:47:56PM -0700, ChadDavis wrote:
> Well, I just found the tomcat package in debian.  I didn't realize
> they had a current version in packages.  NONETHELESS, I would still
> like it if someone can point me to infromation outlining the standards
> for software installation in the debian system.
>
> On 11/7/06, ChadDavis <chadmichaeldavis@gmail.com> wrote:
> >If I want to install software that isn't in a package, what is the
> >Debian compatible method.  I mean, where do I put the executables,
> >where do I put the installation itself, etc.  To be specific, I'm
> >installing tomcat.
> >
> >If someone can tell me where to find documents that specify such
> >Debian standards, I'd appreciate it.

Hi Chad,
it seems you are a bit impatient. The best way to find the answers as a
newbie is to at least read some of the basic documents of the distro
that you are running. The debian reference is the most important as its
made for Debian. If you dont spend sometime reading now, you will just
need to keep asking here for every answer. One thing that builds your
'cred' in the FLOSS world is that you have at least spent some time
reading /usr/share/doc, googled, read the debian reference or man page.
And at that point say exactly what you read and then ask us to explain
some specific point. Now for my actual answer:
1) apt-cache search SOMETHING
   Debian has more than 16000 pieces of software. We package everything.
2) look for un-offical debian packages. Many folks make their own debian
packages even if its not in our repos.
3) look for rpms, use alien on them and then try to install them
4) look for tgz, use alien and then try to install them
5) look for source, try to compile that and then use 'checkinstall' to
make a deb package.
6) look for source and hand compile it and use 'equivs'.
That is a lot for understand.

The main thing is that someone has to spend time gaining the info to
help you. It will either be you who spends the time, it may be us who
spends the time or perhapds we have spent time in the past where we
learn the answer. But if you spend the time, then you learn how to find
the answer, you gain the knowlege and then you ask us less. We dont mind
answering questions, but prefer to be ask a question that challanges us
rather then being asked a question that can be answered by reading the
debian reference or looking on the debian website.
Good luck on your knowlege hunt,
Kev