audio cd and system freeze

Hello. I'm having various problems related to audio cd. I'm using a T43 with
sid installed. Here is a list of the symptoms:

- If logged into my gnome session, I insert an audio cd and the system
freezes completely. I hear the sound of the cd when it is being recognized
by the system. An "Audio CD" appear on the Desktop, but when all this ends,
the system does not respond at all. I can only switch it off and reboot.

  If the CD is in the tray at boot time, or if I insert the Cd before
logging into gnome, there is no problem.

- xmms does not find the audio tracks in /cdrom or /dev/cdrom

  However, other programs (grip, cdplay) are able to find the tracks and
play the CD.

- I can not rip the audio CD. cdparanoia, from the command line, freezes the
system immediately (only output is cdparanoia version number, and then
silence, and then freeze). The same happens with grip. It can play the Cd as
I said, but trying to rip it freezes the system (I understand grip uses it's
a built in cdparanoia code).

Anyway, that's the situation. Any help? Thanks in advance,

Victor