Re: xorg - nv driver

On Sun, Nov 05, 2006 at 23:40:01 +0100, Hans-Ulrich Klein wrote:
> Hi all,
> I have a supplement question to my problem described above. The problem
> occured after updating my debian etch using dselect. A new version of
> xorg was installed and conflicted with the nvidia-glx package. Before
> the update I used the nvidia driver without problems. As I had no
> success using the nv driver, may be I should try to use nvidia again.
> However, I do not understand this dependency problem:
>

> $ dpkg --simulate -i nvidia-glx_1.0.8762-2_amd64.deb
> Selecting previously deselected package nvidia-glx.
> dpkg: regarding nvidia-glx_1.0.8762-2_amd64.deb containing nvidia-glx:
> xserver-xorg-core conflicts with xserver-xorg-video
>  nvidia-glx provides xserver-xorg-video and is to be installed.
> dpkg: error processing nvidia-glx_1.0.8762-2_amd64.deb (--install):
> conflicting packages - not installing nvidia-glx
> nvidia-glx_1.0.8762-2_amd64.deb
>
> The nvidia-glx package is from the unstable dist. It is currently not
> available for testing. Can someone explain me the conflict?

The newest xserver-xorg-core package conflicts with "xserver-xorg-video"
to make sure that you do not use older video drivers with it. The video
drivers used to provide "xserver-xorg-video", but now they provide
"xserver-xorg-video-1.0" instead. You probably need to find a newer
nvidia-glx package, one that also provides "...-1.0".

(I am on i386, so there might be amd64-specific issues that I don't know
 about.)

--
Regards,
          Florian