Re: Exim4 and clamav not working

On Sun, Nov 05, 2006 at 07:47:08AM -0800, Andrew Sackville-West wrote:
> On Sun, Nov 05, 2006 at 08:22:13AM -0500, Jim Seymour wrote:
> > On Sat, Nov 04, 2006 at 12:39:47PM -0800, Andrew Sackville-West wrote:
> > >
> > > FTR, this is what I did for testing and have never bothered to change:
> > >
> > > warn malware = *
> > >      message = WARNING! Virus! ($malware_name)
> > >
> > I tried this just as you are using it to no avail. It just looks like
> > clamav is looking for messages in the wrong place. Any ideas?
>
> can you watch it with top and see if clam is getting called at all?
> you should see clam cpu usage spike a bit. also do you have any clam
> logs?
>
> I"m stumped. Its probably something annoyingly obvious like maybe a
> typo.
>
> Have you checked to see that the clamd socket exists
> (/var/run/clamav/clam.ctl?)?
>
> umm....
>
> what I don't know is whether there is a way to manually connect to
> clamd say by piping a message to it or something like that. THat might
> be helpful, but wouldn't know how.
>
> sorry, no help

Hi,

It finally came to life. May have been something else, however this was
my last change. The directory /var/spool/exim4/scan/ had permissions
set to 770 however /var/spool/exim4 had permissions of 750. I did a
chmod 770 on /var/spool/exim4 and another test sending from my yahoo
account with the eicar text in the body was picked up and bounced back
to my yahoo account :-) Thanks for the suggestions all. It really did
help narrow it down.

Thanks,

Jim

--
I started using something better than the "standard" back when IBM
advertised OS/2 Warp on TV. As Linux matured I made the transition from