Re: Video in mozilla/firefox

Jan Willem Stumpel wrote:

> This may be a very old FAQ, and if so, my apologies.
>
> For several months now, I have been unable to watch video streams
> from most sites (including e.g. cnn.com) using mozilla/firefox +
> mozilla-mplayer. The stream seems to connect, plays for about 1/3
> of a second, then stops, then starts all over again, does the same
> thing.
>
> Youtube and Google video are o.k., but most other sites are not.
>
> I had been expecting that the problem would cure itself through
> Sid dist-upgrades, but so far it has not.
>
> Is this a known symptom? Is there a cure?
>
> dpkg -l|grep mplayer says
>
> ii  mozilla-mplayer                  3.31-1
> ii  mplayer                          1.0-pre8cvs20061002-0.0
>
> ii  mplayer-doc                      1.0-pre8cvs20061002-0.0
> ii  mplayer-skin-blue                1.5-0.5
> ii  mplayer-vidix-radeon             1.0-1
>
> ii  xmms-xmmplayer                   0.3.3-1
>
> Regards, Jan
Hi Jan,
I'm using firefox 2.0 on a Debian Etch box. I tested the cnn site you
mentioned and watched a couple of videos there with no problem. The site
complainde that I didn't have the latest version of the WMP but allowed me
to carry on anyway. Then the videos came up with no problem and played to
completion normally. I'm using the 3.31. You might want to check your
about:plugins in your firefox browser. (Just enter that in the address
band) and you should see an entry like this:
Windows Media Player Plugin

    File name: mplayerplug-in-wmp.so
    mplayerplug-in 3.31
If you don't your .so file(s) is not in the right location.
Cheers,
Jonathan