Video in mozilla/firefox

This may be a very old FAQ, and if so, my apologies.

For several months now, I have been unable to watch video streams
from most sites (including e.g. cnn.com) using mozilla/firefox +
mozilla-mplayer. The stream seems to connect, plays for about 1/3
of a second, then stops, then starts all over again, does the same
thing.

Youtube and Google video are o.k., but most other sites are not.

I had been expecting that the problem would cure itself through
Sid dist-upgrades, but so far it has not.

Is this a known symptom? Is there a cure?

dpkg -l|grep mplayer says

ii  mozilla-mplayer                  3.31-1
ii  mplayer                          1.0-pre8cvs20061002-0.0

ii  mplayer-doc                      1.0-pre8cvs20061002-0.0
ii  mplayer-skin-blue                1.5-0.5
ii  mplayer-vidix-radeon             1.0-1

ii  xmms-xmmplayer                   0.3.3-1

Regards, Jan