Re: reading MS word files

On Oct 30, 6:50 pm, Douglas Tutty <dtu...@porchlight.ca> wrote:
> I understand that to __edit__ MS word files, the only fully functional
> option is OpenOffice.
>
> However, to just read properly .doc files that people email me thinking
> that its the only format around, what works?  I need not just the text
> but collumns, tables, images, the works.
>
> Is there a way to convert them to PS and view with gv?
>
> Thanks,
>
> Doug.

Unfortunatly to be able to convert them to PS properly implies that you
can open them already.
The only reliable way I have found to do that is to convert them on a
Windows machine to PS and
then send them out.

OO usually works but does foul up some complicated documents.

Then again, I get Windows word documents that I cannot open properly on
my Word for Mac, so
MS isn't even compatable with themselves.

Move to Massachusetts and insist on ODF documents :-)