Re: reading MS word files

Douglas Tutty:
> to just read properly .doc files that people email me thinking that
> its the only format around, what works?  I need not just the text but
> collumns, tables, images, the works.

I took Word Viewer 2003 from the MS site ("View, print and copy Word
documents, even if you don't have Word installed") and tried to install
it with the version of Wine that is available for Sarge.
Error: "Newer version of Windows needed."

Then I tried Word Viewer 97-2000, not available from MS any more, but it
does exist in other places, for example:
http://pcworld.com/downloads/file/fid,6314-order,1-page,1-c,alldownloads/description.html
Installed and ran it with Wine in Sarge.
And, guess what: it runs great!  And very fast!

SH