Re: Window managers-which one?

B. Hoffmann wrote:

> I' ve been installing purely a base sytem this time as opposed to before
> always going with the default install with Gnome.
>
> Then proceeded to install xfce and synaptic and that's it so far. Don't
> want any unnecessary fluff this time.

Not sure why you need Gnome in the first place. If you are happy
with Xfce (do you mean Xfce4?) then you can just do (after
installing the base system and Xserver):

aptitude install xfce4

If you want even less bloat then you can install Xfce4 components
individually (takes a bit more effort).

You will also need a display manager (unless you like the whole
startx thing).

xdm - small and simple and can look nice with a bit of effort
wdm - small and simple but ugly :-(
gdm - pretty and simple but not small and depends on lots of
Gnome libraries
kdm - probably pretty as well (don't use it) but depends on
pretty much the entire of KDE.

I personally use gdm, but I used wdm before (before getting too
depressed about how ugly it is.)

Best regards,

--
George Borisov