Re: Terminal trouble

* James Richardson (james@hyperbolictech.com) wrote:

> I don't know why it is the default, and I don't really know a lot of
> people who prefer the behavior, although presumable the guy who made it
> the default liked it. ;)

I can live with it even being default, though I really cannot imagine
it being a popular setting, but it surely should be configurable.
It would be like having comic sans the built-in font and making it so
that anyone who wanted something else would have to actually hack into
the source code.  With everything which can be configured via
Xdefaults why this behaviour cannot be modified directly in that way,
excepting the sensibility of xterm of course, is beyond me.

> The easiest way to change the terminfo database is to decompile the
> entry for your terminal, take out the the entries for rmcup and smcup,
> and then recompile the entry.

[snip]

Yes, worked perfectly!  I cannot thank you enough.  Now I can use the
terminal of my choice without having to deal with annoying screen
clearing.

Thanks again,

Patrick