Window managers-which one?

Hi all !

I' ve been installing purely a base sytem this time as opposed to before
always going with the default install with Gnome.

Then proceeded to install xfce and synaptic and that's it so far. Don't
want any unnecessary fluff this time.

My question is which wm to use, as Gnome install metacity by default and
I don't have experience with anything else.

There's a lot of information on Google Groups and in the Debian
archives, however I have a more specific question (bearing in mind this
will be used as desktop and ratpoison is not an option).

1. How does sawfish compare in functionality and is it a good option
with xfce?

2. Anybody have experience with qvwm?

3. Intending to use Crystal-fvwm later on, will any of these play nice
with fvwm too?

Must confess I'm still a bit confused as to what exactly a WM does as
some seem to have themes available for them which I thought was down to
the DE.

Also for example icewm and fvwm seem to be both window managers and
DE's?

Apologies for bringing this up again!

--
Kind Regards,