Re: laptop display (CORRECTION!)

Mark Grieveson(dg135@torfree.net) is reported to have said:
> Hello. I just installed Debian Etch on an old laptop (IBM Thinkpad > 770). It works okay, but the image is half the screen size. It's a > centred box within the larger screen. How do I make it full size? I > tried "dpkg-reconfigure xserver-xorg", thinking that changing the > resolution might help, but, it did not help. > I suspect it's something to do with the laptop. This is the first > laptop I've ever had. All suggestions are appreciated.

I just finished setting up 2 Thinkpad 770's.  It took a lot of
googleing to get a working system running.
You did not mention which kernel you are running, or which boot
loader, and that matters. ...

If you put vga=0x305 in your grub/lilo setup you can get 1024x768 in
kernel-inage-2.6.8.
ie: in Grub
kernel          /boot/vmlinuz-2.6.8y root=/dev/hda1 vga=0x305 ro

:-) HTH, YMMV, HAND :-)
Wayne
Hi Wayne. Thanks for your feedback. I'll try that. I'm using Etch; so, I think the image is now 2.6.17.
Mark