Re: F!3@$%ing fsck! On boot it dies... yet drive okay?!?

On Mon, 30 Oct 2006 06:11:40 +0100
"Michael Bonert" <sparcc@gmx.net> wrote:

> On booting my Debian system I get something like:
> -----
> [sbin/fsck.ext3 (1) -- /mnt/mdk] fsck.ext3 -a -C0 /dev/hda11
> /dev/hda11: clean, 5765/130048 files, 1425960/2596497 blocks

OK, so ext3 sees /dev/hda11 and it's an ext3 filesystem & should be OK,
as long as it is mounted as such in /etc/fstab.

> Reiserfs super block in block 16 on 0x309 of format 3.6 with standard journal
> Blocks (total/free): 200800/192582 by 4096 bytes.

That's drive /dev/hda9

> Filesystem clear.
> Reiserfs super block in block 16 on 0x30a of format 3.6 with standard journal
> Blocks (total/free): 200800/192582 by 4096 bytes.

And here is /dev/hda10.

> Filesystem clear.
> fsck died with exit status 9
> File system check failed.
> A log is being saved in /var/log/fsck/checkfs if that location is writable.

Now that is odd. If it is /dev/hda10 that is failing the fsck - and
it's not clear that it is, then that could be the problem. But the log
implies that partitions 9 and 10 are good.

> If I remove the drive '/dev/hda11' from the '/etc/fstab' Debian complains about '/dev/hda10'.

Somehow I don't think hda11 is the problem - since it is ext3 and your
prior fsck suggests that it should be working.

> In any case, I think the error is related to the '/etc/fstab' file somehow.  I read somewhere that the order of the entries in the fstab file matter-- how though was not explained.

That's a possibility, since you indicate later on in the email the
partition in question used to be reiserfs and is now something else. Of
course, if you have put 'reiserfs' as the partition's file system type
in /etc/fstab, that easily could be a cause for trouble. Simply replace
the 'reiserfs' with the appropriate filesystem type and save &
quit /etc/fstab.

dfox@tsoft.com                            change magnetic patterns
dfox@m206-157.dsl.tsoft.com               on your hard disk.