cupsys setup dumb question

I lost my sarge in a power glitch and am recreating. Most things are going well
but ...
I install cupsys and apache among many hundreds of other packages.
I point my browser (firefox) at localhost:631 as the howto directs and ...
I'm told "
Forbidden
You don't have permission to access the resource on this server."

I have already put myself in the lpadmin group and anyway apache can't
know whether or not I'm in that group.
Before the crash, I remember getting a menu screen on which I could select
to sign in, etc. But now I can't even get to that.
What have I forgotten?

TIA
--
Paul E Condon