Re: argh! linux and floppies

I've been following this thread with interest, since I was the one who initially expressed his exasperation over Linux coughing up floppies like so much sour milk.

Anyway, I finally did find a floppy that was actually mounted by my system (of course, later, my computer rejected it as not worthy also.) Anyway, I did try this superformat on it, with the following result (which, of course, is the Linux computer coughing it up as a snobby vintner coughs up regular wine):

debian:/home/mark# superformat /dev/fd0 hd
Measuring drive 0's raw capacity
In order to avoid this time consuming measurement in the future,
add the following line to /etc/driveprm:
drive0: deviation=0
CAUTION: The line is drive and controller specific, so it should be
removed before installing a new drive 0 or floppy controller.

Verifying cylinder  5, head 1 error during command execution
  66 04 05 01 01 02 12 1b ff
44 20 20 05 01 0d 02
CRC error in data field
CRC error in data or address
cylinder=5 head=1 sector=13 size=2
error during command execution
  66 04 05 01 01 02 12 1b ff
44 20 20 05 01 0d 02
CRC error in data field
CRC error in data or address
cylinder=5 head=1 sector=13 size=2
Verifying cylinder  9, head 1 error during command execution
  66 04 09 01 01 02 12 1b ff
44 20 20 09 01 0e 02
CRC error in data field
CRC error in data or address
cylinder=9 head=1 sector=14 size=2
error during command execution
  66 04 09 01 01 02 12 1b ff
44 20 20 09 01 0e 02
CRC error in data field
CRC error in data or address
cylinder=9 head=1 sector=14 size=2
Verifying cylinder 13, head 1 error during command execution
  66 04 0d 01 01 02 12 1b ff
44 20 20 0d 01 0f 02
CRC error in data field
CRC error in data or address
cylinder=13 head=1 sector=15 size=2
error during command execution
  66 04 0d 01 01 02 12 1b ff
44 20 20 0d 01 0f 02
CRC error in data field
CRC error in data or address
cylinder=13 head=1 sector=15 size=2
Verifying cylinder 79, head 1
mformat -s18 -t80 -h2 -S2 -M512  a:
plain_io: Input/output error
mformat: Error reading from '/dev/fd0', wrong parameters?

warning: mformat error