Re: xsetwacom parameter question

On Mon, Oct 30, 2006 at 07:57:08AM -0500, Thomas H. George wrote:
> On Mon, Oct 30, 2006 at 09:35:40PM +1300, Chris Bannister wrote:
> > On Sat, Oct 28, 2006 at 09:13:36AM -0400, Thomas H. George wrote:
> > > Now my Wacom Graphire 4 mouse moves in fits and starts. It worked
> > > smoothly before the upgrade.  The upgrade was from Debian Sarge with a
> > > 2.6.11 kernel to Debian testing with a 2.6.17 kernel built from
> > > linux-source-2.6.17 with the same .config I used to build the 2.6.11
> > > kernel.
> > >
> > > The only difference I can find is in the output of xinput list from my
> > > computer (testing, 2.6.17 kernel) and a neighboring computer (testing,
> > > 2.6.15 kernel, Wacom Graphire 4 mouse working perfectly). The values are
> > > identical except for the value of Motion_Buffer which is 256 for my
> > > computer with a jerky mouse movement and 0 for the neighboring computer
> > > with a smooth mouse movement.
> >
> > Hi Thomas,
> >
> > So changing the value of Motion_Buffer to 0 is not accepted, correct?
> > Is the 2.6.15 kernel a stock Debian kernel?
> >
> > Having another computer to compare with should help ;-)
> > Try installing a 2.6.17 stock Debian kernel?
> >
> > Where is the Motion_Buffer set? (in what file?)
> >
> Hi Chris,
>
> I solved my problem as reported in my post Jerky Mouse Movement -
> Solved without resolving the Motion_Buffer issue.  I believe it is a
> wacom module parameter.  I recall that several years ago I found it
> necessary to set certain module parameters.  insmod will allow you to do
> this but I have forgotten the command that reports the current values of the
> parameters of an installed module.  I tried modinfo wacom but could not
> understand the output, it is certainly different than what I remember
> using in the past.

Forget the comments in the paragraph immediately above.  As soon as I
posted it I realized that new tools are available that render my vague
memory of what I did in the past irrelavent.

xsetwacom list param will output descriptions of parameters which can be
changed with the xsetwacom command.

xinput list will output the current values of the parameters.

man xsetwacom is not particularly helpful.  See
http://linuxwacom.sourceforge.net/index.php/howto/xsetwacom.