Re: Why I left Debian

On Sunday 29 October 2006 06:29, Karl Goetz wrote:
> Bruno wrote:

> >> No, you are right, but as far as I know, it is NOT included by
> >> default in any Linux.  Nos Suse, not FC, not Ubuntu, not Debian,
> >> not any I have tried.
> >
> > Hummm...I'm not sure about this : in fact I just installed KUbuntu
> > 6.06 on my laptop and found 'DRI enabled' (in Xorg.0.log) which
> > should confirm (correct me if I'm wrong) that 3d is available.
> >
> > Bruno
>
> Ubuntu ships Nvidia and ATI binary drivers (infact all of
> linux-restricted-modules-*) on the install cds, its installed by
> default. kk

Maybe in Edgy, but that didn't happen on my system when I installed
Dapper.  Ubunutu, like many distros, focuses on the free software.  I
had to go to a separate non-free one for Flash, Acrobat, and the NVidia
drivers.  When I did the first install of the full system, I tested my
card with a game that slows down the entire system if the NVidia
drivers are not installed and it brought my system to a crawl.  I quit
it, added the non-free repository, installed the NVidia drivers,
restarted X, and the game ran fine.

Hal