Re: upgraded my debian testing system and now have font problems

On Sat, Oct 28, 2006 at 02:51:25PM -0700, tom arnall wrote:
> Another problem has emerged since my upgrade. When I try to run gaim,
> I get the following message and the thing dies:
>
> 	gaim: symbol lookup error: /usr/lib/libpangocairo-1.0.so.0:
> 	undefined symbol: cairo_scaled_font_get_font_options
>
> i removed gaim and reinstalled it, with no results. I then tried
> removing gaim from my system and everything on my system with the word
> 'gaim' in it, then reinstalling. This got me weird messages from the
> installer:
Hi Tom,
The Debian system has directories and files that are part of its
management system. It also has specific tools to query, manipulate and
otherwise fuss with these. Removing files willy-nilly is not the
approach that most distros use to manage them. Unless, of course, you
have the specific knowledge to fix any breakage and a reason to do it.

In Debian, these are the usually ways:
install 'apt-get install PKG'
remove  'apt-get remove PKG'
purge   'apt-get --purge remove PKG'
or the equivalent with 'aptitude'

The last one is relevant here. 'Purge' means remove the binary files,
documentation and the configuration files. This is what you should have
used. There is only one thing that Debian does not manage yet, user
configuration files commonly created with DOT-PKG (ie. .mozilla). So you
MAY want to delete those, if you are sure they may be a cause of
problems.

The error you had below was caused by the fact that you removed files
that are part of the Debian package management system and as such,
Debian couldn't do its job and bombed out when it could not find the
files it was expecting(otherwise known as pulling the rug out from under
it)

> 	debian:/etc# apt-get remove gaim
> 	Reading package lists... Done
> 	Building dependency tree... Done
> 	The following packages will be REMOVED
> 	  gaim
> 	0 upgraded, 0 newly installed, 1 to remove and 494 not upgraded.
> 	1 not fully installed or removed.
> 	Need to get 0B of archives.
> 	After unpacking 2191kB disk space will be freed.
> 	Do you want to continue [Y/n]? Y
> 	(Reading database ...
> 	dpkg: serious warning: files list file for package
> 		`gaim-data' missing, assuming package has no files
> 			currently installed.
If I remember correctly, you removed /var/lib/dpkg/info/gaim.list. This
error was caused by this.

Not sure about the other errors.

Next time, ask us, we can help you avoid these fun time x-)
Cheers,
Kev