Re: sareg to etch question

Kevin Mark wrote:
> On Thu, Oct 26, 2006 at 02:16:28PM -0400, John Graves wrote:
>
>> With the impending move of etch to stable, I have a question on how to
>> do the upgrade.   I am running sarge with the 2.4.25-1-386 kernel.  I
>> understand that etch requires the 2.6.x kernel.  This would imply that I
>> have a kernel upgrade in my future.  Do I want to do that upgrade on
>> sarge?
>>

> To upgrade from sarge to current testing? I'd do it if its not a
> production system and you can handle any possible breakage.
>

>> Will that allow me use my package manager to do the etch upgrade
>> by setting my source list to stable rather than sarge?
>>

> If your sources.list is set to sarge, then when etch is released,
> nothing will be upgrade to etch.
> If your sources.list is set to stable, then when etch is released,
> you will upgrade to the current stable -- etch. But wiil upgrde again
> when the next stable is relased.
> If your sources.list is set to etch, then when etch is released,
> you will upgrade to etch and stay with etch.
>
> If you wait for etch to be relaesed, there will be an 'sarge to etch'
> upgrade guide (release notes) that will help you address what every
> issue have been found.
> cheers,
> Kev

Everytime I start to lose faith in the Linux community I come upon a
pearl of wisdom similar to the following:

http://linuxdevices.com/articles/AT3855888078.html

My own sarge to etch migration was not without it's problems.  Although
etch is still in testing, I would have expected the upgrade to have gone
better.  In the end due to problems with devfs to udev conversion and
new apt-get security issues (read 'signed' packages) I ended up with an
unusuable system and had to install clean from the netinst CD and make
quite a few adjustments, post-installation, to get the system working
correctly.  Most notable was having to get 'mkinitrd.yaird' installed,
deal with an apparent package issue with kernel 2.6.16 and 2.6.16-2, and
install the non-broken initrd-tools and cramfsprogs.
A good backup strategy saved my bacon.  I've told myself a hundred times
- stay with stable - but I guess I have yet to learn.

Michael