Re: sareg to etch question

On Thu, Oct 26, 2006 at 02:16:28PM -0400, John Graves wrote:
> With the impending move of etch to stable, I have a question on how to
> do the upgrade.   I am running sarge with the 2.4.25-1-386 kernel.  I
> understand that etch requires the 2.6.x kernel.  This would imply that I
> have a kernel upgrade in my future.  Do I want to do that upgrade on
> sarge?  Will that allow me use my package manager to do the etch upgrade
> by setting my source list to stable rather than sarge?

A kernel change from 2.4 to 2.6 can be a big deal or at least not quite
automatic if, for example, your module requirements are different.

If there is no particular reason that you haven't gone to 2.6 (other
than if it ain't broke don't fix it) you may wish to do that as soon as
its convenient, from within your current sarge/aptitude.  After the
install before you reboot, ensure that your lilo or grub config has both
your current kernel and the new one.  That way you can switch back and
forth as you test that all your hardware works as expected.  Once all is
well, you may or may not decide to remove the old one.

In this way, you spread-out the problem curve for the version upgrade.
Not that there should be problems, but I don't like to do a lot of
upgrade at once.  The difference between your 2.4 kernel and the current
stable 2.6 kernel is far greater than the difference between the current
stable 2.6 kernel and the one that will be stable when Etch is stable.

I always run Stable (except for my new computer I'm installing on which
needs Etch for new hardware) so I have my sources list pointing to Stable.

To summarize:  set your sources list to stable and schedule a time for
the kernel upgrade.  I would suggest that, ahead of time, you install the
kernel-doc for the 2.6 kernel so you can plan ahead any different kernel
parameters or module requirements.  Also re-read the documentation for
your boot loader.  Then go for it knowing that a few reboots may be
needed.

Doug.