Re: upgraded my debian testing system and now have font problems

On Friday 27 October 2006 11:53, Florian Kulzer wrote:
> On Fri, Oct 27, 2006 at 11:30:00 -0700, tom arnall wrote:
> > I upgraded my debian testing system y'day and now the type on many of the
> > frame areas of diff' applications has been replaced by empty boxes. this
> > is true on the frames of the gnome-terminal windows. gimp is unuseable
> > because of the problem. and my login screen has only boxes for type on
> > it. i'm running debian testing and gdm. when i do:
> >
> > 	pstree -p |grep X
> >
> > i get:
> > 	|-gdm(4683)---gdm(4684)-+-Xorg(4701)
>
> I would start with looking for error messages and warnings in the X log:
> $ egrep '^\((EE|WW)\)' /var/log/Xorg.0.log
>
> Furthermore, check .xsession-errors for font/rendering/X-related
> messages.
>
> Start gimp or another problematic application from the command line and
> hope for output which helps to identify the source of the problem.

Florian,

thanks for the help. indeed, i looked in all those places and found lots of
complaining. and in .xsessions-errrors i found the instruction to run
pango-querymodules. i ran it and the problem was fixed.

now i find the following in .xsessions:

bound (gnome-terminal:12060): Gdk-CRITICAL **:
gdk_pixmap_foreign_new_for_display: assertion `(anid != 0)' failed
Failed to retrieve terminal server from activation server

(gnome-terminal:12073): Gdk-CRITICAL **: gdk_pixmap_foreign_new_for_display:
assertion `(anid != 0)' failed

should i fix this? what effect is the problem likely to have on my system?

thanks,

tom