Re: get pkg name

yes, COLUMNS is good. the man maual of the dpkg-query says using
showformat, but has little details.

I can use dpkg-query -W --showformat='${Package} ${Description}' to
get package name & description, but the description is too long, not
like dpkg's output.

On 10/28/06, Andrei Popescu <andreimpopescu@gmail.com> wrote:
"linux china" <chinalinux@gmail.com> wrote:

> I don't mean adjusting the columns. you can see the package name is
> cut, the words after libhtml-tree-p is missing, so I just want to
> output the name & description which are needed, other information like
> version isn't needed, so how to just output the package name &
> description?

Did you actually try the COLUMNS= suggestion? It seems to adjust the
widths of each column as well. If you want to get rid of the version
information you will need to use something like sed.

(Albert Einstein)