Re: dialup modem identification

On Fri, 2006-10-27 at 22:00 -0300, David Whelan wrote:
> I installed debian 2.2.20-idepci.on a Dell Inspiron 2500 laptop using an
> old set of floppies I successfully installed some years back on another
> machine, thinking that I would update later using apt. I do not have
> broadband and need to get a dialup connection working but I cannot seem
> to get my 3Com 3CXM556 PC Card modem identified. I have used modprobe to
> install serial_cs, ds, and pcmcia_cs modules to no avail; do I have to
> install yenta_socket module as well for this modem? Or am I going
> horribly wrong?
> Regards,
> Dave Whelan.

Read the lspci -v output carefully! I got mine (Lucent LT winmodem)
working after recognizing that the IRQ was not detected correctly. The
system gave it IRQ 255. I had to set it manually to 169 using setserial,
and suddenly it started to work.
I have a broadband connection anyway, so I did it only for the sake of
the fact that I could do it.
Good luck with yours!

--
Szia: