Re: get pkg name

I don't mean adjusting the columns. you can see the package name is
cut, the words after libhtml-tree-p is missing, so I just want to
output the name & description which are needed, other information like
version isn't needed, so how to just output the package name &
description?

$ dpkg -l 'libhtml*'
un  libhtml-format <none>         (no description available)
ii  libhtml-parser 3.55-1         A collection of modules that parse HTML text
ii  libhtml-protot 1.47-1         Generate HTML and Javascript for the Prototy
ii  libhtml-scrubb 0.08-3         Perl extension for scrubbing/sanitizing html
ii  libhtml-tagset 3.10-2         Data tables pertaining to HTML
ii  libhtml-tree-p 3.19.01-2      represent and create HTML syntax trees
ii  libhtml-widget 1.08-1         HTML Widget And Validation Framework

On 10/28/06, Douglas Tutty <dtutty@porchlight.ca> wrote:
On Sat, Oct 28, 2006 at 06:04:32PM +0800, linux china wrote:
> hi,
>
> using the dpkg -l to get a list some installed package lists like this,
> dpkg -l some-pattern
> if the package name is too lang, its name is cut because of the limit
> of the columns 80. if I wanna output name and description, what's the
> command line?

I don't know what the proper thing to do is, but I always redirect the
output to a file then view it.

dpkg -l some-patter > op.txt