dialup modem identification

I installed debian 2.2.20-idepci.on a Dell Inspiron 2500 laptop using an old set of floppies I successfully installed some years back on another machine, thinking that I would update later using apt. I do not have broadband and need to get a dialup connection working but I cannot seem to get my 3Com 3CXM556 PC Card modem identified. I have used modprobe to install serial_cs, ds, and pcmcia_cs modules to no avail; do I have to install yenta_socket module as well for this modem? Or am I going horribly wrong?
Regards,
Dave Whelan.