Re: something touching my files

ChadDavis wrote:

Thanks guys. I'm looking through the cron tasks, but it certainly doesn't happen with any monthly, daily, weekly regularity. Its been a couple months since the last time actually. If that adds any important info. On 10/26/06, *José Alburquerque* <jaalburquerque@cox.net <mailto:jaalburquerque@cox.net>> wrote:

    ChadDavis wrote:

    > Hey, I am using CVS for some development work.  It keeps track of
    > whether a file has been modified by monitoring the
    timestamp.  My time
    > stamps keep getting renewed occasionally, which mucks up
    CVS.  There
    > are ZERO changes to the files at these times, but its annoying
    > nonetheless.
    >
    > I wanted to check logs to find out whether I can see something
    > happening.  I know the dates of the sweeping "touches" of my files.
    > What logs should I mine for activity on these dates?
    >
    > Also, any ideas conerning the identity of the culprit?

    Do you have cron running?  Check the /etc/cron.{daily,hourly,..}
    directories.  Specifically, the /etc/cron.daily directory contains
    scripts that are run daily by cron.  On my system (and maybe on
    yours),
    through the /etc/cron.daily/find script, cron updates the locatedb
    file
    name database by going through all the files on the system to keep a
    "list" of all files in the file system.  (This is so that if you
    want to
    find a file in your file system you can use the command 'locate' to
    quickly find it without having to wait to go through the file
    system).
    Maybe your files are being "touched" somehow by this process (not very
    sure).  Just an idea.

    --
    Sincerely
    Jose Alburquerque

Chad:

My suggestion was just a thought. cron is the only thing I really can think of that might be running something that's touching your files without you knowing it because it runs scheduled processes in the background. You may also want to check and see if there's some process that you run that inadvertently does this without you knowing it.

For your info, the log files are located at /var/log but, again, I'm not sure you'll find much there. Please let me know if you do. :-)

--
Sincerely
Jose Alburquerque