something touching my files

Hey, I am using CVS for some development work.  It keeps track of whether a file has been modified by monitoring the timestamp.  My time stamps keep getting renewed occasionally, which mucks up CVS.  There are ZERO changes to the files at these times, but its annoying nonetheless.

I wanted to check logs to find out whether I can see something happening.  I know the dates of the sweeping "touches" of my files.  What logs should I mine for activity on these dates?

Also, any ideas conerning the identity of the culprit?