Re: Heads up - mplayer now in Sid!

On Thu, 26 Oct 2006 17:46:08 -0500

> On 10/26/06 17:07, Kevin B. McCarty wrote:
> > Hi all,
> >
> > Maybe no one has noticed yet... I thought people might be
> > interested to know that mplayer is now available in Debian Sid:
> >
> >> kmccarty@benjo (sid)[21]:~% apt-cache policy mplayer
> >> mplayer:
> >>   Installed: (none)
> >>   Candidate: 1.0~rc1~svn20199-1
> >>   Version table:
> >>      1.0~rc1~svn20199-1 0
> >>         500 http://ftp.us.debian.org sid/main Packages
> >

> Anyone know why this mplayer is better or the same as the Marrilat
> mplayer?

[...]

Well, if you use the debian-multimedia repository you'll see this:

~$ apt-cache policy mplayer
mplayer:
  Installed: (none)
  Candidate: 1:1.0-pre8cvs20061002-0.0
  Version table:
     1:1.0-pre8cvs20061002-0.0 0
        500 http://www.debian-multimedia.org sid/main Packages
     1.0~rc1~svn20199-1 0
        500 http://ftp.ie.debian.org sid/main Packages

So Marillat wins the version numbers game at least. Most of will
probably continue to use debian-multimedia anyway for the additional
codecs. Another bonus is that Marillat offers the mplayer-nogui package.

--

Liam