Re: Compiling a Nvidia module [was Re: Compiling a kernel]

On Wed October 25 2006 06:39, David Baron wrote:
> On Wednesday 25 October 2006 13:29, Chris Bannister wrote:
> > On Mon, Oct 23, 2006 at 11:31:46PM -0500, cothrige wrote:
> > > With this install of Debian I decided to stick to what I know, and
> > > grabbed the binary installer direct from NVidia.  I ran that, and in
> > > less than two minutes I was up and running.  No complaints from Debian
> > > and no complaints from NVidia.  Oh, except for one because I had tried
> > > to compile it before I updated the system fully and so I had a gcc
> > > which didn't match the kernel, but that was fixed in no time.
> >
> > Apparently the binary installer from NVidia messes with the libraries on
> > the system and is not the recommended method for installing.
> >
> > Read http://home.comcast.net/~andrex/Debian-nVidia/
> >
> > The Debian way is certainly a lot easier. Now where has that nvidia-glx
> > package gone?
>
> Nvidia's own gives me twice the frame rate of Debian's nvidia-glx (Sid).
>
> Nvidia is looking for some Xorg SDK to tell it where to place its module.
> Not finding that, it uses the default /usr/lib which means interference
> with/by xorg glx packages. Each time you put in new Xorg stuff, simply
> rerun their installer. A bit of a bother but as you said, a few minutes.
>
> Examin their "advanced" options. There may be a way to tell it where to
> install the glx stuff. Then simply have xorg.conf check modules there
> first :-)

When I (cough) installed nvidia's own installer I installed xorg-dev first so
it could figure out where to put stuff. I'm running with an m-a installed
module now and am having good results. Wish I had checked the frame rate but
it seems to be working well in any case.