Re: nividia-glx working in etch???

On Wed, Oct 25, 2006 at 09:36:42 +0100, Alle Meije Wink wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I read this in an earlier post about etch

> >>I think this is exactly what I do on Etch, and it works fine.
>
> I can confirm only the first 4 lines... I have been running the nv
> driver in etch no for so long that my eyes are sore even when I think
> about running debian...
>
> I try every now and then if I can install nvidia-glx (trusting the
> nvidia-kernel package not to be te problem) and what I get is still this:

>   nvidia-glx: Depends: xserver-common (>= 4.0.3) but it is not installable
> E: Broken packages
>
> I have all of Randall Donalds' package directories in my sources.list,
> so the material comes hot off the press...
>
> I guess this has to do with using Xorg instead of Xfree86, but surely
> there must be a way around this?
>
> I tried some archive/web searches but there does not yet seem to be a
> solution for the etch drivers?

You seem to have a problem in your sources.list. The version of
nvidia-glx which depends on xserver-common is the old one from Sarge.
The new versions all depend on x11-common instead. The packages for
older cards (version 7184 of the driver) are now called
nvidia-*-legacy*.

The nvidia-* packages are currently not in Etch, see here:
http://packages.qa.debian.org/n/nvidia-graphics-drivers.html
[2006-04-18] nvidia-graphics-drivers REMOVED from testing

I think that people on Etch either install the nvidia-* packages from
Unstable or they use the installer script from the nvidia homepage. (I
can only confirm that both these methods work fine on Sid since I am not
an Etch user myself.)

--
Regards,
          Florian