Re: Can't boot after installation

debian wrote:
Hello,

i have a new poweredge 1950 with an embedded dell perc 5/i raid
controller
There are 2 disks in it of 72GB and are configured as RAID 1.
I perform a new installation with the debian testing netcd.
Everything goes  well, netcard is found, DELL Perc is also found.
When partioning the HDD in the installation menu, these are the details:

SCSI3 (2,0,0) (SDA) -72.7 GB DELL PERC 5/i

i partition the harddisk, continue the installation and install GRUB at
the master boot record.

I reboot after the installation, the GRUB menu is shown and the system
boots.
Then after a while i get:

ALERT!: /DEV/SDA1 does not exist. Dropping to a shell

BusyBox v1.1.3 (Debian 1:1.1.3-2) Built-in shell (ash)
enter 'help' for a list of built-in commands.

/bin/sh: can't access tty; job control turned off.

I also tried in raid 0 without the second disk but it remains the same.
It seems that the installation sees SDA1 but it is nog recognized after
installation.

Can anybody help with this problem please ?

thnx,
Verus.

Verus,

Do you have any ATA hard disks or USB disk devices (including memory drives) attached to the system?

If so, I think you're seeing a difference in how the BIOS scans disk devices, versus the kernel.

If this is the case, I've made several posts on this subject in the past that provide details on how to set up LABEL based booting/mounting of the system. Search the archives for any posts by me, one with the subject "Recent upgrade causes drive lettering scheme to alternate from hda to hde" and two with the subject "Debian AMD64 boots only at random: how to use labels/fstab/grub"

Bob