Re: Petition about the Firefox trademark problem

Andrew Sackville-West wrote:
> On Fri, Oct 13, 2006 at 01:15:00PM -0700, derek wrote:
>> I dont understand why this is such a big deal.

Same here! As far as I can understand, this renaming+branding will give
users the same thing - just without the Firefox name and their logo. The
car is still the same without its hood ornament and model name on the back.

> Frankly its a win-win situation, AFAICT. Deb gets a great browser and
> FF protects their stuff the way they want to. The problem is that now
> Deb won't have a browser called FF. The solution I see is to put
> a Debian patched version of FF in Main and call it Iceweasel and put a
> Moz version of FF in non-free.

Why not ask MoCo to provide a .deb as Opera does? People interested in
an official .deb from MoCo can add a Moz repository to their list and
others can choose *iceweasel* (or whatever it will be called), epiphany,
 konqueror, opera, etc. This way people who want to use Debian because
of the surety it offers with its DFSG can use a *free* option and those
obsessed with their logo and artwork can use a MoCo deb.

> And I don't think its a big deal either.
There is a huge choice of browsers out there after all.