Re: Compiling a kernel

cothrige <cothrige@bellsouth.net> wrote:

> I have never used initrd, at least not when I have compiled a kernel.
> To be entirely honest I have never fully understood just what it
> does.  I was under the impression it was for things like booting from
> reiser fs and having to load modules to do it.  However, that always
> made me wonder why a person would just not compile in the reiser
> support, and so I have naturally assumed that I was dead wrong on why
> it existed and what it accomplished.  But, since I have never seemed
> to need it, i.e. my system has always booted fairly predictably
> without it, I never tried to learn more.

initrd's are especially useful for distros, because a kernel with all
stuff compiled in is not an option (too big), but you still need some
of the modules very early in the boot process, when the root filesystem
is not accessible yet. For your particular system you can afford to
compile everything in, because you know exactly what you need and what
you don't.

Regards,
Andrei
(Albert Einstein)